Everyone wants a bright white smile. Unfortunately, keeping our teeth white isn’t the easiest thing to do, even with the most impeccable dental routines. So, we make an appointment for a teeth whitening procedure to help with the problem. Teeth whitening has now become the most requested procedure in cosmetic dentistry today.
But why do our teeth continue to become discolored? Well, lots of times it is not our dental routines, but our lifestyle choices that determine how white our teeth stay. Our diet and habits can both cause our teeth to stain over time. Here are some contributing factors to yellowing, stained teeth:
- Tetracycline based antibiotics used before the age of 8 years old
- Excessive exposure to fluoride as a child
- Internal bleeding due to trauma
- Discoloration due to a health condition
- Natural aging- as time goes by enamel gets thinner and thinner and will get a yellowish hue
Simple rules to live by to try and stop the yellowing process:
- Visit your dentist regularly for teeth cleanings
- Rinse your mouth out with water several times throughout the day
- Use toothpaste with whitening agents
The most popular and convenient method is with the ZOOM! whitening technique. This procedure is done in our office in about an hour. Our trained clinicians first place a protective barrier on the cheeks and gums. The ZOOM! whitening gel is then applied to the teeth. This gel is used with the ZOOM! light which together gently penetrates the surface of the teeth to break up stains and discolorations. The gel is applied for three 15-minute sessions for a total of 45 minutes to 1 hour.
To set up an appointment, call Dr. Middleton in Riverside, CA at 951-688-3442 or visit www.gmdental.com.
Dr. Middleton proudly accepts patients from Riverside and all surrounding areas.